I’m allergic to my earrings, which are 14k gold?
I’m starting to have symptoms of allergy in both ears, what can I do to stop them?
A mild skin reaction to gold is a greenish stain on the skin directly in contact with the gold and is often mistaken for a gold allergy but is actually oxidation from sodium chloride via skin perspiration which slightly corrodes the metal. Fine jewelry, such as 18-karat gold, oxidizes far less, so the discoloring usually doesn’t occur with those pieces.
Consider heading out to buy hypoallergenic stainless steel or platinum.
Hope this helps … try stainless steel first because it’s cheaper!
About the Author: David Herschthal, MD, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (Dermatologist)