I have massive indigestion (gas, bloating, severe abdominal pain) after eating mushrooms and can lasts for several hours, even after taking an antacid. Could this be an allergy or sensitivity? I have not had a problem until recently. I think I will avoid in the future anyway but I’m still curious about what it could be.
Mushrooms are a fungus and people who have mold allergies can develop mushroom allergies quite easily. Of course, mushrooms are everywhere in the outdoor environment and is reported as mold counts on weather forecast around the world.
What’s odd is that some people who have obvious inhalation fungus allergies can consume mushrooms without an allergic reaction. We think this is because a person can only have a hypersensitivity to a particular mold species making others harmless if breathed in or eaten. However, it is important to note that persons who do have mold allergies can react to a mushroom in their diet at any time without warning.
Allergy skin testing followed by a series of allergy shots are the best way to prevent allergic reactions to all types of molds whether breathed in respiratory or consumed orally.