Have you ever had an allergic reaction while reading a newspaper?
Chances are it could be because the newspaper may be only hours old. Ink from a freshly printed newspaper can emit vapors which can cause a host of allergy related symptoms to include watery eyes, sneezing and skin rashes.
There is a quick and easy way to confirm the freshness of a newspaper by wiping a few inches of it with a dry paper towel. If the paper towel is black from the wiping, then it probably is emitting ink vapors. Of course, if you have a keen sense of smell you may try just smelling the paper up close to see if it has a ink odor.
So what can you do about it?
- Try wearing some tight fitting cotton gloves.
- Read the paper outside on the porch, weather permitting.
- Read the paper later in the evening after the ink has longer to dry.
Unfortunately, there are not many options available if you have a sensitivity to newspaper print besides those listed above or reading more news online.
About the author:
Stan K. Hall, the Sick House Syndrome doctor is a recognized specialist in Indoor Air Pollution as well as Health & Safety in the home. He has performed hundreds of indoor environmental evaluations over the past 25 years and has helped a multitude of homeowners make their homes a haven.