Gold Allergy

Warning: trim() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/adiffere/public_html/ on line 120

Warning: trim() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/adiffere/public_html/ on line 120


I’m allergic to my earrings, which are 14k gold?

I’m starting to have symptoms of allergy in both ears, what can I do to stop them?

Best Answer:

A mild skin reaction to gold is a greenish stain on the skin directly in contact with the gold and is often mistaken for a gold allergy but is actually oxidation from sodium thiosulfate or sodium chloride via skin perspiration which slightly corrodes the metal. Fine jewelry, such as 18-karat gold, oxidizes far less, so the discoloring usually doesn’t occur with the higher quality 18-karat pieces.

With that being said there are people who do have jewelry allergies that can cause severe skin rashes and hives, so if there is any doubt, visit an allergy doctor for your piece of mind.

Consider heading out to buy hypoallergenic stainless steel or platinum items if you are plagued with recurrent gold allergies.

Hope this helps … try stainless steel jewelry first because it’s usually cheaper!

About the Author: David Herschthal, MD, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (Dermatologist)

Additional Information from the Editor-In-Chief

Gold allergies are further exacerbated from a combination of friction and excess moisture. If you are experiencing excess friction and movement of a ring or other piece of jewelry against your skin, then consider resizing the piece to reduce movement and therefore friction.  Also, if the piece is still causing an allergy issue, then consider having it evaluated to make sure there are not other metals present which could be causing the problem. (See the Related Posts below for additional information)

Related Posts: Jewelry Allergy and Nickel Allergy

Contact Allergy to Gold Sodium Thiosulfate

FREE from our sponsor!

The Sick House Center 10-Part Email Course

Discover proven methods to eliminating ALLERGIES, ASTHMA, MOLD and INDOOR POLLUTANTS from your home.

Enter your first name and email address in the form below and they will send your first lesson right away.

First Name:

**Double-check your email for accuracy to ensure you receive your free email course.

Privacy Assured:
Your email address is never shared with anyone!


Powered by Optin Form Adder

Wasp Allergy

Warning: trim() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/adiffere/public_html/ on line 120


There are some people who are allergic to wasp bites, which means that their immune systems react to the venom injected by a stinging insect. Venom bites of insects contains several chemicals that, when introduced through a bite, causes the release of histamine, which causes local tissue damage and other chemicals that cause allergic symptoms. After the first sting, the allergic person’s body produces an allergic substance called immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibody that reacts with insect venom. If he or she is bitten by the bug again to the same species or similar insect venom interacts with the IgE antibody response to the first bite.

The resulting tissue damage is largely responsible for the pain, swelling, redness and we experience itching at the site of the bite. Although most local reactions are mild and cause localized swelling and inflammation around the site bite, the area of swelling and inflammation can be very large. For example, one may be bitten on the finger, however, inflammation can progress to include whole arm. Both of these reactions, by virtue of the fact that adjoin the site of the bite and allergic reactions are considered.

For a small number of people with severe venom allergy, stings can be deadly, insects belonging to the class of Hymenoptera are capable of injecting venom into humans and animals. Severe allergic reactions to insect stings can involve many body organs and may develop rapidly. This reaction is called anaphylaxis. Symptoms of anaphylaxis may include itching and hives over large areas of the body, swelling in the throat or tongue, difficulty breathing, dizziness, stomach pains, nausea or diarrhea. In severe cases, a rapid fall in blood pressure can lead to shock and unconsciousness. Anaphylaxis is a medical emergency, and can be fatal. If you or anyone else experience any of these symptoms after an insect bite, get emergency medical treatment immediately. After symptoms are treated in the emergency room, you must also obtain a referral to an allergist to learn about treatment options.

Insect bite or poison insect bite can be one of the most dangerous allergens. Most people who are stung by bees, wasps, hornets, wasps and fire ants have little to fear. At worst, these people may experience mild pain, swelling and itching at the bite site.

A person does not suffer an allergic reaction the first time it is bitten by an insect. Instead, the initial encounter leads to awareness, in which the immune system reacts exaggerated insect venom and creates immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies to fight it. These antibodies trigger an allergic reaction the next time the body meets the insect venom.

The next time a person is bitten, these antibodies cause the mast cells to release chemicals such as histamine, which can cause inflammation in the body. Very allergic people can suffer anaphylaxis, in which fluid leaks from blood to tissues, causing inflammation and reducing blood pressure. Bronchial tissues may swell and cause difficulty breathing.

Stinging insects in the United States include honeybees, wasps, hornets, wasps and fire ants. While not everyone is allergic to insect venom, skin reactions, such as mild pain, swelling and redness can occur with an insect bite.  Most sting reactions are caused by five types of insects: wasps, bees, paper wasps, hornets and fire ants.

However, people with allergies to the venom are likely to experience more pronounced effects. A mild allergic reaction can cause nausea, increased swelling and other discomforts. At the other extreme, a rare disease who are allergic to after experiencing an allergic reaction. It is better to destroy the hive or nest of insects are known to cause allergy. Insects sting when disturbed by what is best off slowly, as you encounter any flying stinging insects.

About the Author:

Bryan Morris is a medical sales professional and likes doing research works on various types of allergies and their possible cure.

Related Post: Insect Allergy.


Insect Allergy

Warning: trim() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/adiffere/public_html/ on line 120

insect allergyIf you’re allergic to the stings or bites of insects, navigating your way rhough the summer can be more dangerous than bicycling through New York City. An estimated 2 million Americans have insect allergies, which send more than 500,000 of them to the hospital and cause at least 50 deaths per year. That figure may actually br higher, since some insect-allergy related deaths may not be recognized as such. Almost half of the fatal reactions occur in people who have no history of insect allergies. If you suspect you may be allergic, ask your doctor to do a skin test.

Insect Allergy Culprits

The culprits include stinging insects, such as bees, hornets, yellow jackets, wasps, and fire ants, and biting insects, such as mosquitoes and bedbugs. Most of which are plentiful in late July, August and early September. You’ll know you’re allergic to one of them if, after you’ve been bitten, you develop hives, itchiness, swelling in areas other than the sting bite, difficulty breathing, dizziness, a hoarse voice, and/or swelling of the tongue. In severe reactions, you may lose consciousness and go into cardiac arrest as your body becomes overwhelmed and goes into anaphylactic shock. Don’t be surprised if the symptoms hit several hours after your encounter with the insect and gradually worsen before dissipating.

There’s really no way to know if you’re allergic to an insect until you’ve been stung, since this is one of the few allergies in which there is no clear family history. Just because a parent is allergic to bee stings doesn’t mean that you will be.

If you’re stung, try applying cold compresses and/or an over-the-counter hydro-cortisone cream to reduce the stinging and swelling, but even if that first reaction is mild, make sure you see an allergist.Not only do you need a doctor’s prescription for the epinephrine kit, you should ask if you’re a candidate for venom immunotherapy, or allergy shots, which can desensitize you to most insect stings.

Related Post: Wasp Allergy.

Excerpt from Allergy & Asthma Relief, Debra Gordon, Co-author of Allergy & Asthma Relief, Reader’s Digest, 2004

Insect Allergies Explained