Sulfite Allergies


Warning: trim() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/adiffere/public_html/allergyreliefexpert.com/wp-content/plugins/optin-form-adder-lib/include/optin-form-adder.cls.php on line 120

Warning: trim() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/adiffere/public_html/allergyreliefexpert.com/wp-content/plugins/optin-form-adder-lib/include/optin-form-adder.cls.php on line 120

sulfite-allerySulfite Allergies Are Serious

Add sulfites to the long list of substances a person with allergies or asthma may want to avoid. Sulfites are salts used for preserving processed foods.

Sulfite sensitivity occurs in about 5 percent of adult asthmatics or approxi­mately 500,000 people. The symptoms include hives, itching, flushing, tingling, nausea, and asthmatic symptoms such as wheezing and shortness of breath. In rare cases, shock, heavy sweating, and loss of consciousness may occur. Sulfite sensitivity is more common in people who take steroids for their asthma symptoms.

When shopping for food, always read labels carefully. If you have a sulfite sensitivity, here are some categories to watch for:

  • Pickled products (canned vegetables, pickled vegetables including sauerkraut)
  • Dried fruit (dried fruit snacks, trail mixes, filled crackers)
  • Lemon juice and lime juice (non-frozen)
  • Certain alcoholic beverages (some beer, cocktail mixes, wine, wine coolers)
  • Soups and sauces (seafood based soups, dried soup mixes)
  • Condiments and relishes (horseradish, onion and pickle relishes, pickles, olives, salad dressing mixes, wine vinegar)
  • Certain drugs (cardiovascular drugs, antibiotics, tranquilizers, intravenous muscle relaxants, analgesics (painkillers), anesthetics, steroids and nebulized bronchodilator solutions (used for treatment  of asthma).
  • Fish and shellfish (canned clams; fresh, frozen, canned or dried shrimp, frozen lobster, scallops)
  • Processed meats (bacon, sausages, many pork products)

Related Post: Wine Allergies and Sulphur Allergy.

Source: Journal of the American College of Nutrition (14,3:229)

To learn more about how to make your home a allergy-free haven, please sign up for our sponsor’s Free 10-Part Email Mini-Course on this page or click here to read more.

Sulphite story

FREE from our sponsor!

The Sick House Center 10-Part Email Course

Discover proven methods to eliminating ALLERGIES, ASTHMA, MOLD and INDOOR POLLUTANTS from your home.

Enter your first name and email address in the form below and they will send your first lesson right away.

First Name:
Email:
 

**Double-check your email for accuracy to ensure you receive your free email course.

Privacy Assured:
Your email address is never shared with anyone!

NO OBLIGATION . . . NO SPAM . . . NO PROBLEMS!

Powered by Optin Form Adder

Sulfite Allergy


Warning: trim() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/adiffere/public_html/allergyreliefexpert.com/wp-content/plugins/optin-form-adder-lib/include/optin-form-adder.cls.php on line 120

sulfite-allergy

Sulfites are used as an preservative in just about every wine and heavily processed meat product throughout the world and can cause mild to serious allergic reactions. Sulfites are also used as sanitizing agents and food color preservatives. Sulfites are also suspected to be a carcinogen when heavy consumed but there is still much testing to be done.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) estimates that 1 percent of people the United States have a sensitivity to sulfites and up to 5% of these people are considered to be “sulfite allergic.”

Many people who either know they have a sulfite allergy or just wish to avoid sulfite containing products because of their potential health consequences do not fully know how widely used it really is. Like many food related allergens, avoidance is the best strategy to preventing allergic reactions.

Here is a list of the top 15 products which can contain sulfites in addition to wine and processed meats:

  1. Canned fruits and vegetables
  2. Condiments
  3. Dressings
  4. Dried fruit
  5. Grapes (fresh) – safe in some countries
  6. Ketchup
  7. Lemon juice/concentrate
  8. Lime juice/concentrate
  9. Mushrooms (canned or frozen)
  10. Pickled foods
  11. Pickles
  12. Potatoes (dehydrated, frozen french fries, dehydrated, mashed, peeled, pre-cut)
  13. Raisins (dried or dedydrated)
  14. Soups
  15. Vinegar, wine vinegar

by Tony Coturri

Tony Coturri on Sulfites

Wine Allergies


Warning: trim() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/adiffere/public_html/allergyreliefexpert.com/wp-content/plugins/optin-form-adder-lib/include/optin-form-adder.cls.php on line 120

wine-allergies

Some people suffer from wine allergies with symptoms that include headaches, irregular heartbeat, asthma, facial flushing, sinusitis and other reactions. For them, Monahan makes low-allergy wines (hypo-allergic). This means we avoid unnecessary additives where possible.

Let’s consider the chemicals and compounds found in wine and particularly the ones that affect people. They are, Preservative #220 also called Sulphur Dioxide or Sulphites, Preservative Potassium Sorbate (#202) or Sorbic Acid (#200), Wood tannins from oak, Tannins from skins/pips, Alcohol content and Salicylates, Amines.

Each of the above can have a role in causing allergies. However, it is generally the ‘combined total load’ of these chemicals that determine the severity of a reaction.

Many people are affected by the sulphites that are found in wines. Sulphites are a group of food chemicals numbered from 220 to 226.  The most common one used in Australia is Preservative 220 which is Sulphur Dioxide.  This additive is very reactive and binds with anything in its path. It’s an excellent chemical for destroying bacteria and ‘mopping up’ free oxygen.However, that same reactive ability is also the cause of allergy problems for some people.

Sulphites are measured in ‘parts per million’ or ppm. In most countries, a 750ml bottle of champagne can have up to 350ppm which is very high, considering the maximum daily intake is only 60ppm according to the World Health Organisation. Table wines can have up to 250ppm of sulphites added, and at that level a sensitive person can expect a nasty reaction after just one glass. Organic wines are half this level, and have a limit of only 125ppm in Australia.  Monahan ‘Low Preservative’ wines are even lower, and our whites are below 85ppm, and our reds are below 60ppm.

Oak Tannins
Some people avoid wines made with oak because it affects them poorly. This is interesting because oak barrels have been used in wine-making for centuries, and wine and oak are synonymous. However, oak is a problem for some people because it contains high levels of strong tannins that are the astringent component of timber designed to repel insects and grazing animals. These are quite complex phytonutrient molecules. Most people do not have a problem with oak, but some people will react adversely. The term tannin relates to their use in tanning animal hides to make leather, due to their astringent properties.

We do not use oak in our white wines because we believe the negatives outweigh the positives. Our red wines contain reduced levels of oak because we use aged French oak barrels. We do not use new barrels because the oak tannins and timber resins are highest in a brand new barrel. There are some naturally occurring allergens found in plants, like Salicylates that help protect them from diseases, and insects. And for a small percentage of people, these salicylates can cause health problems, and furthermore, there no lab tests to determine if a person is susceptible.This is because salicylate reactions only occur when the tolerance level of the person has been exceeded. As a general rule, those who can safely eat fresh fruits like apples, pears, grapes, cherries etc without ill affects, do not have a problem with salicylates.

Amines are another source of allergens. In wine, amines are formed by the breakdown of proteins in grapes during fermentation. These amines are normally broken down in the body with the help of enzymes which render them harmless, but someone with sluggish or blocked enzymes can be affected. The reality is that all foods are made up of hundreds of naturally occurring compounds that can have varying effects on us, depending on how much we eat and how sensitive we are. It is recommended that anyone affected by these types of natural plant compounds should select their wine carefully.

Total Load

Wine allergies affect people in different ways, but the more common symptoms are facial flushing, irregular heart beat, low blood pressure, headaches and asthma.  The poor effects experienced by some wine drinkers is caused by the ‘total load’ of additives and alcohol. At Monahan we go to great lengths to produce low-allergy wines where the ‘total load’ is low.

Provided by Monahan Estate Wines, Australia

Related Post: Sulfite Allergies.

Sulfite story